Monday, March 10, 2008
The Wire (-30-)
The Wire is over.
For 5 seasons they gave me everything they had. And I watched every episode. The final episode,-30-, aired last night. As I watched each scene on the edge of my seat, I thought "this is playing real slow." I thought they were setting up for some final resolution. How were they gonna close this series out? McNulty's secret was out of the bag and he was definitely headed to jail...or death. We knew from the previews that Marlo was gonna get back on the streets. So how was it gonna end. I KNEW it wasn't gonna end like the Sopranos with a damn blacked out screen. Less anti-climatic but great tv, nonetheless.
1. Gus exposes Templeton for who he truly was. Much like a real life Jason Blair, Templeton's propensity to lie. The problem was that Gus' superiors didn't think that he was lying and felt that Gus had made it a personal issue. In the end, Gus gets demoted and Templeton and the Baltimore Sun get the much coveted Pulitzer Prize. I enjoyed the media angle of The Wire this season b/c it exposed how stories can easily be altered. As Gus said..."we are here to report the story and not to make them up.
2. Daniels refuses to play hardball and ultimately has to step down. He goes into practicing law.
3. Carcetti becomes the Governor of Md and Noreese becomes the Mayor of Baltimore. I can remember how Carcetti came into office trying to be a clean politician. Well, there's no such thing. By the end, he had done so many dirty deals just so that he could climb his way to the top. In the end, we saw that aspect very clear. Everybody was gonna do what they could do to get ahead...to hell with everybody else.
4. Dukie becomes a junkie. We saw this coming. He went from borrowing money from Prezbo to shooting up with Sanford and Son (lol). In a sad twist of fate, the streets lose a fiend like Bubbles and gains one in Dukie. That is a part of the life cycle in the streets.
5. Kenard gets arrested for killing Omar. Haaaaaa
6. McNulty lives! I thought for sure that somebody would kill him or he'd kill himself for what he did. The police force had his "funeral" but you McNulty's case is not resolved...yet!
7. Lester retires. I always liked Lester.
8. Micheal does not leave Baltimore. I thought that he'd be smart enough to get outta town. NOT! Instead, he sticks up some drug dealers who work for Marlo. Bad move Mike. To make matters worse, he shoots him in the knee. Once again, the life cycle in the streets. Remember when Michael was a good kid who wanted nothing to do with Marlo and his crew. Now he is a YOUNG Omar.
9. Speaking of Marlo...Levy is able to get Marlo out b/c he knew that there was an "illegal wire tap" on his cell phone. Levy is a slimy lawyer. But he's good. Damn good. He knew that he could play hardball with the law b/c he knew that they had done something wrong. In turn, they found out about his "source" within the court system and had threatened him with jail time. Once again, here's where The Wire excels. It shows how shady deals get worked out behind closed doors. They had just announced that Marlo was in jail and that they had 16 mill in dope but yet he walks. That's why The Wire is the shyt. In his final scene, Marlo strolls up on a corner in a suit. He approaches 2 corner boys who are talking about Omar. Words are exchanged. Marlo punches the kid and they run off. The kid fires his gun before Marlo swung on him. Marlo doesn't realize until the kids had run off the block that the he had been shot in the forearm. He looked at his suit and saw the blood. Although he had sold the connect for 10 mill and headed for "retirement"...here he was fighting on the block...just to protect his name. As he said last week... "my name is my name." And the scene ends with him on the corner just standing there.
10. Chris gets life without parole. Ironically, he's locked up in the same jail as Weebay
11. Cheeze gets out...only to get shot in the head by Slim Charles. He said that he did it for Prop Joe. Cheeze was Joe's nephew who set him up to be killed by Marlo. Isn't it ironic that The Wire started out with Barksdale being the kingpin but the Co-Op is now being run by a former Barksdale lieutenant?
12. Bubbles gets to come upstairs in his sisters house. LOL
In the end, the last episode was cool with me. There may be some people who didn't like it. Or just some (like me) who don't like that there won't be another season. There are many rumors that there may be a movie in the works. I would support that. In the end, there weren't a whole lotta resolutions...but isn't that the way it's supposed to be?