Tuesday, August 16, 2011

love letter 2 hip hop




The following post was written by my lil sis...Ms.Minnie. Like me, she has a love for hip hop...

My Dearest Hip Hop,

I met you june 1996, I was eight years old and I never knew that I would know what love was at such a young age. You taught me valuable lessons, and sent vibrations through my soul with bass, treble, and scratches from a turntable. Our relationship spans years, and I just wanted to let you know how I feel.

Our first liaison began when you introduced me to one of your sons, his name was Nasir Jones or Nas for short. He was soo fine, caesar haircut, gold chains, timbaland boots, and a chipped toothed smile. one day sitting on a bench infront of my project building, he whispered so softly in my ear “the world is yours”. That relationship is still going strong, but I feel that you two may have had alittle spat since he once claimed “hip hip is dead”.

After meeting Nas, I became intrigued with your ancestors and fore fathers. So I dug in my uncle’s dusty crates and that’s when I met some of my closest friends and teachers of life’s lessons. I thank you for introducing me to Public Enemy, De La Soul, Rakim, EPMD, Slick Rick (who always kept my attention with his amazing stories), Big Daddy Kane, The Pharcyde, Queen Latifah, MC LYTE, and the list goes on. Those were the people who you bought to the world, and to me that taught me how to be proud of who I am, or that I should conduct myself as queen, bring “U.N.I.T.Y.” to my community and family.

Our relationship began to change though. I lost all hope in us until you introduced me to your niece and nephews Lauryn, Pras, and Wyclef. I think they were called the fugees at the time. They had me singing melodies like “fu-gee-la” in my bedroom whether I was “ready or not”. Until this day they’re still “killing me softly”. I got closer to Lauryn though. She claimed to be mis-educated, but she was the smartest, deepest woman I could have ever met. She once told me “nothing even matters” and you know what IT DOESN’T.

Hip Hop that was our love story, My love was deep and strong. But now things have changed. You’re not the same. People always told me change is good, but that’s not the case with us. I thought I knew you. Never could Imagine you making it ok for women to be seen as objects “barbies” instead of queens. Never would I thought i’d see the day when you used auto tune. You broke my heart when you let beef into our relationship.

What happened to the days of ciphers, and emcee battles? What happened to the days where your music uplifted people? What happened to the days of originality?

Hip Hop I know times are changing, and I guess you have to go with what sells, but I know you’re not satisfied, i’m not satisfied.

I love you still and I just want you to go back….

I won’t give up on you

As long as there’s A Tribe Called Quest, The Roots, Jean Grae, Mos Def, Talib Kweli, Jay-Z, Kanye West, Common, and even your great, great, great nephews like J Cole and Jay Electronica give me hope that our love will survive this little fight.

Hip Hop I will always love you. You’ve been in my life for 15 years and I want this to last for as long as it can.

Please just find it in your heart to go back to what made me fall in love with you in the first place.

I believe in you…

Love Always,

Minnie

p.s.

even though i’ve only met my distant relative Bob for a few years, his legacy continues on through his sons, and I love every minute of it. Keep up to great work Damien, Stephan, Ki-Mani, Ziggy, and Julian.


(http://neosoulchild.tumblr.com)

1 comment:

Don said...

Enjoyed the read.

Upon hearing the year 1996 I initially wasn't too sure you were preparing to write about hip hop music or rap music. But after reading your every word, yeah, it is definitely that hip hoppin' soul rockin' spirit that you speak of.

Continue to cherish the memories, cause it's never returning in its original form.