Tuesday, October 6, 2009

hey coach!


Hey Coach!
Hey Coach!
Hey Coach!

I can't tell you how many times I hear this a day at football practice.

When you're coaching a team of 6 and 7 yr olds, it's to be expected. It's almost like a kid who follows his mother in a store and won't stop calling her name...(Mommie, Mommie, Mommie). Nevertheless, their chants have become music to to my ears. I'm used to it now.

As many of you know, I played football from the age of 8 through college at South Carolina State University. What you don't know is that I had NO ambitions in being a coach on Kameron's team. I wanted no parts of coaching. Can't really explain why. I guess I felt it'd be difficult to convey my thoughts, passion, and desire to another individual. Especially a kid.

Little did I know how rewarding coaching would be. We're 4-0 right now. More than the wins, I've enjoyed being out there with Kameron and his teammates. I remember when the head coach asked me if I would be a part of his staff. I wanted to say no but I'm glad that I did. Not only has it re-united me with my first love (football) but it has given me a chance to give back. I remember years ago when my Dad told me that I needed to find away to give back to my community and be an influence on the youth. That's easier said than done when you're working all the time and you have your OWN kids to raise. I knew what Dad meant, though. When you grow up, you take something from your neighborhood/community. It's your obligation to give something back. That's not an option for me. It's a must.

Through coaching these little boys, I'm able to communicate and be a living example for kids like Peanut...who's mother is on drugs; or Javante...who's a little slower than the other kids socially...or Dylan...who is very shy away from football but lights up when we're on the field. In me, these kids see something that they may not see every day...a strong black male role model. Everyday I make sure that I interact with every kid on the team. I ask them about school and I tease them. I just try to let them know that I care. For some of these kids, the odds are against them. I know that. I try to give them another perspective...even at the age of 6 or 7.

I remember when I played football as a kid how my teammates loved my Dad. He was my coach for my little league years. As I grew up, those guys would always ask about my Dad. If they saw him around town, they'd great him with a handshake or a hug. He had that kind of influence on them. Much like me, he interacted with them and teased them. More importantly, he let them know that he cared. To this day...when I see the guys now...they still ask about me about my Dad.

Years later, history is repeating itself.

Hey Coach don't sound bad at all!

17 comments:

KayC, The Quiet Storm said...

"Hey Coach" doesn't sound bad at all. Good to see someone doing their part and enjoying it :-)

Brothers Blog said...

man this is what it's all about. You're filling a void and reaching them at the age they need it most. Unfortunately, the older they get the harder it is. But you are making a difference early on and that's what our youth need. And you get to do it along with spending time with your son and your passion? Man nothing better. And don't bring up the topic from twitter that's not on the same level. lol.

Good post man I can't wait til my son gets involved in a little league sport.

MzInspiredMind81 said...

This is such a heartfelt post, I love it! You hit the nail on the head when you talked about the odds being against them and trying to reach them and let them know you care at a young age. There need to be more men(people) in general like you Kyle.

Beautifully.Conjured.Up said...

This post reminds me so much of my brother...nice!!!

Congrats on the stats...keep it up!!

Pigskin Loving Lady said...

Oh how I miss these days. I was team mom for years and I LOVED it!! It goes by so fast...ENJOY COACH!!!

Rashan Jamal said...

Yeah, man. It is really hard to find realistic ways to give back, I'm glad you found yours.

LadyLee said...

Great post. You are definitely sowing a good seed into those boys' lives. You really are.

...they call me "L" said...

LOVES IT! Kyle that's so cool. You know L don't get down with the football, but the strong male role model thing...yes, I am all the way down with that! Handle it.

Anonymous said...

From one Coach to another....can I get the info I asked you for?

Anonymous said...

I loved this 12kyle, an i love what you are doing. It reminds me when my son was young, and i was the team mom for his baseball team, basketball team and football team. What you are doing is a wonderful thing. Keep up the great work...those kids will surely learn from you...and will appreciate your every effort.

Mizrepresent said...

I loved this 12kyle, an i love what you are doing. It reminds me when my son was young, and i was the team mom for his baseball team, basketball team and football team. What you are doing is a wonderful thing. Keep up the great work...those kids will surely learn from you...and will appreciate your every effort.

Mizrepresent said...

lol, okay kyle you are gonna have excuse the double entry with 2 surnames...my daughter was logged into my laptop and i just went on typing...but those words are truly mine,lol.

dessex said...

You are doing a wonderful thing for those kids. These young men need more examples of the positive and not the negative!

Keith said...

You're doing the best thing for these young men...something no government program can do for them..Give them an example of what
Manhood is. We need more like you man!

Queen of My Castle said...

This post truly made me smile from a place deep within. As a single mom it's great to know that there are other little boys like yours that don't mind sharing their father, and you as the father don't mind sharing your valuable time. You make me proud and make me love Black men even more. LOL

ShonaVixen said...

well done Coach!!

Blah Blah Blah said...

There is nothing more attractive than a black man teaching a black male child.

My ex-husband used to coach my boys teams when they were younger....no matter what sport it was he'd be the coach or assistant coach.
Good man.

You'r ea good man too.