Thursday, April 23, 2009

throwback thursday


Picture this...

the time was 1993...

the scene was on the campus of my alma mater, South Carolina State University.


As many of you know, I met my wife when I was in college. Prior to meeting her, I was the typical guy who loved women. I had seen alotta things in my time at SC State when it came to sistas. However, I had one encounter that I'll never forget...


One day after practice, me and my boys, Moe and Russell stopped by the cafe to grab something to eat. As we were eating, I noticed a female who was staring at me from across the room. Our eyes connected. She smiled and looked away. A few minutes passed and I noticed that she was staring at me again. She smiled at me. So, I smiled at her. I didn't know who she was. In fact, prior to that day I had never seen her before. I told Moe and Russ that she was checkin' me out. She was very cute. I mean, she was an eye catcher (looked like Megan Goode). I waited for her to leave so I could see what her body looked like. As she walked past our table, I noticed that she had a nice body AND she was bowlegged. OMG! A young 12kyle was a sucka for women with pretty eyes and bowlegs. Anyway, I wanted to run up on her and talk to her but I played it cool. I knew I'd see her again...

I saw the Mystery Girl for the next few days at the same cafe...at the same time. She continued to stare and smile. Well, I had made up my mind that it was time for me to stop being cool and holla at her. Just as I was about to stroll over to her table I ran into an old female friend from freshman year. She proceeded to talk (without interruption) for the next 10 mins. By the time she finished, the Mystery Girl was gone. I was pissed. She had slipped through my fingers again. Or did she? Well, later that night, I received a phone call from my homegirl, Stacy. She called and said that her friend Kandi wants to meet me. She also said that "Kandi has been watching you in the cafe and she thinks that you're cute." TOUCHDOWN! Could it be that Stacy is friends with the Mystery Girl???? Before I got my hopes up I had to confirm it. I asked Stacy what was Kandi wearing that day. She replied..."a yellow shirt and jeans." I thought to myself..."YESSSSS! That's her. That's what she was wearing." I told Stacy to give Kandi my number and we'd talk. She did.

Kandi called me the next day. I was surprised at how cool she was. Within a few mins into the conversation, I realized that not only was she fine but she was smart (can't talk to dumb chicks). I was liking her even more now. We talked for 2 hrs that night. We complimented each other on our looks. She said that she didnt know if I had paid her any attention. I told her that I had never seen her around until recently. I was truly impressed. I learned that she was a big football fan, pre-med major, and a hip hop fan. That was right up my alley!!!

For the next week, Kandi and I would talk on the phone for at least an hour each night. I was really feeling her. Not only was she fine but she had a good head on her shoulders. One night while we were on the phone, I heard her humming a tune. I asked her if she could sing. She said "yes." So, I asked her to sing something for me. She sang the first verse of Anita Baker's "You Bring Me Joy." OMG!!! She sounded JUST like Anita Baker!!!! I'm thinkin' to myself..."she went from being a Mystery Girl to a fine, smart chick who can sing her face off." Young 12kyle was enjoying himself.

From the time that we exchanged numbers, we had not seen each other in the cafe anymore. The phone calls were great but she felt like we should sit down face-to-face. That was cool for me b/c I wanted to stare into thos pretty brown eyes any way. We agreed to meet for brunch on a Sunday morning. I was pumped up. Got dressed and threw on some Cool Water cologne (don't laugh...lol). I made it to the cafe before she did so I sat down and waited for her arrival.

I waited. And waited. And waited. I'm like..."where is this chick?" Finally, a chick sits directly in front of me. I looked at her and smiled...but it wasn't Kandi. I wanted to tell the chick that the seat was taken. But before I could open my mouth she said..."Hi Kyle. I'm Kandi. Nice to FINALLY talk to you in person and not over the phone." This chick wasn't Kandi. Well, she WAS but she wasn't. I mean, she was Kandi but she wasn't the same chick who I was droolin' over. It wasn't her. She didn't look good either...I mean...she was aiiight. But she didn't look like the Mystery Girl. Was this a case of mistaken identity? How the hell did this happen? This chick had on halter top that exposed her breasts. And she had hair on her chest!!!!! Ewwwwwwwwwwww!!!!

I was sooo disgusted. But I had to play it cool and act like I was still interested in talking. I played it off but that might have been the longest 45 mins of my life. I was shook. I don't know how this happened! Where was the chick who looked liked Megan with the big pretty eyes and the bow legs? We had a decent convo despite the fact that I was an emotional wreck inside. As I left the cafe, I told her that I'd call her later (I didnt but I did call her again) I was in a state of shock.

I was looking for the dime and somebody gave me a hairy nickel.

SHIT!

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

That last sentence made me literally laugh out loud. Good thing I was alone in my office. great story.

KayC, The Quiet Storm said...

I was looking for the dime and somebody gave me a hairy nickel.LMAO at that comment. I sooooo needed that laugh this morning, thanks! Great story. Whew, the stories we have from attending a place to get "educated" LOL!

Unknown said...

Dagg playa, that was not a good look. I'm sure your glad those days are over.Great read. Lmao

Beautifully.Conjured.Up said...

ROTFL!!!!!!

This has got to be one of your funniest stories yet, LOL!!!! Did you ever find that girl again (the Megan look alike)?

Stew said...

so it just so happened that this chick had the same name and was wearing the same thing on the same day?

or

was it that you did not get a good enough look at her and you thought you saw something that you didn't?

either way that whole experience must have been pretty traumatizing.

12kyle said...

@ Boredntalkative
Thanks! Glad that it made you laugh. I can laugh now...but I didn't back then.

@ Kay C The Quiet Storm
I got a great "education" from this experience

@ Bobby
I'm soooooo glad that those days are over. LoL

@ Beautifully.Conjured.Up
I saw her again. It was a year later. I was dating my girlfriend (now wife) at the time. Couldn't step to her then. LoL

@ Stew
I never knew what the Mystery Girl's name was. She happened to have on the same colored shirt that Kandi had on that day. I just connected the dots...or...I thought I did. I was pissed.

Or should I say...still pissed. LoL

Rashan Jamal said...

Wow, that was the laugh I needed today. Not a hairy nickel. LMAO!

Mizrepresent said...

Dayum 12kyle...but you all had such a connection. So i guess in the end it all boils down to looks, well at least at first. You know you can't get from first base to 3rd without something. I not hating on you, just that, i know how important looks are, but then again how unimportant they are. Feel me!

Solomon said...

LMAO at the last sentence 12kyle, a hairy nickel, bwahahahahaha...

Keith said...

LMAO...Oh my God...This was the funniest story I've heard in awhile..and you all had such a connection...Sounds like something that would have happened to me..lolololl.

E.M.H. said...

LMAO!!! This was hilarious...thats for a good laugh :-)

12kyle said...

@ Rashan Jamal
Yessur! I mean she was real hairy. Too hairy to be exposing herself!

@ Mizrepresent
I feel u, Miz. Looks aren't everything. I think we can all agree to that. The problem is that I got my hopes up. I thought I was talkin' to Megan Goode! It's like...going to get a filet mignon. Your mouth is watering for it and you're ready...and they give you a hot dog. LoL. Nuffin wrong with a hot dog but it aint no steak. Haaaa

@ Solomon
Trust me...that might have been the 1st time that I was around a female and I was speechless

@ Keith
Thanks, fam. Sometimes I wonder if I'll see her at homecoming or somthing? It'll prolly be the time when I'm walking with the wife and kids. Lmao!

@ Erin Michell
Welcome to the 12th Planet.Make sure that you come back. We have a good time over here. We're here every day...like bad traffic.

Glad to make you laugh

Mo said...

LOL that was a wonderful laugh. thanks for that!

Rich Fitzgerald said...

Man, that was funny. Ain't nothing worse then thinking you landed a winner only to find out otherwise after you have invested emotional currency.

The Dreamy One said...

ohhhh my goodness you are so not right for that hairy chest part,lol

well that is what your tail gets,lol

Anonymous said...

ummm...ok, Im confused...so what really happen to her. Had she been gone for that long. Damn I thought you were going to tell me that this was the girl you married or something....sheeeeeez

Unknown said...

That was hilarious. I had a feeling that it would turn out not to be the girl you thought she was. But dang, a hairy chest eeweeweeweweww!