Tuesday, June 7, 2011

20 yrs...


June 7, 1991

I'll remember that day for two reasons...

One reason...Michael Jordan dropped 29 on the Lakers in Game 3 of the NBA Finals.

The second reason...I graduated from high school that day. Today marks 20 years. Wow. Time flies. It doesn't feel like it's been that long. As I reflect on that day, I remember it like it was yesterday. I remember seeing my family and friends in the crowd. I remember wanting the graduation to be over as quickly as possible because I was ready to party. More importantly, I remember those classmates who sat in their cap and gowns with me. We were a "different bunch"...to say the least. We weren't a unified class but we had a bunch of great individuals. I had gone to school with most of them since the 7th grade. There were a few who I'd known since I was in the 2nd grade. I woke up that day thinking that graduating from high school was no big deal. My thought process changed later that day. I realized the level of pride and strength that we had. I remember seeing my classmates crying after it was over. I didn't cry. No need for tears. This wasn't my final destination. This was a stepping stone to propel me to the next level. But it was sad because it would be the last time that I would be around this great collection of talented people. You never really knew how much you meant to people...or how much they mean to you...until you part from them. I remember giving hugs and dap to my classmates when it was over. Little did I know that we'd lose 2 classmates before I enrolled in college in August.

Through the years, I've learned more and more about those that stood with me that day. We are a great group of people. We're probably more unified now than we've ever been. That's cool with me. The pride and the strength is still there. And always will be

Wilson High School Class of 1991...I salute you.

1 comment:

...they call me "L" said...

Twenty years, Kyle, I'm right there with you! Damn, time flies!