Saturday, February 14, 2015

24 with 12



I've been writing this blog 7 years. I think one of the first things I said before I started writing. I told myself "you're a cool dude but people aren't gonna want to read about your life...it's not that interesting."

That said...I want to give you a small glimpse of what a day in the life of ole 12kyle is like...


SATURDAY:


7:15 am - The alarm clock goes off and I'm up. I've never been one to "sleep in". We weren't allowed to just lay around as kids. You had to get up and do something. Nevertheless, on this day...my wife is out of town so it's just me and the kids.

7:32 am - Skyler (age 3) runs in my room and jumps on my head. "Daaaadyyyyy!!! I want some pancakes. The princess gets what she wants.

7:36 am - Brandon (age 8) walks in the room. He wants to know if he can watch SportsCenter.

8:01 am - After a quick shower, I get dressed and make my way downstairs. I walk down the hallway and wake up the "big kids"...Deion (15), Kameron (12).

8:25 am - I crank up Pandora on my iPhone to so that I can listen to music while I cook.

8:30 am - Brandon asked "Dad, did you watch SportsCenter on Saturday mornings when you were my age?" No son...we had REAL cartoons back then...

8:47 am - Breakfast is served...pancakes, bacon, and scrambled eggs

9:12 am - Skyler needs to get dressed. This is always interesting because she's at the point now where she may say "I don't want to wear that" Huh?

9:18 am - Incoming phone call. Face Time with my Mom. I think FaceTime might be the best thing since sliced bread. My mom, who lives in South Carolina, gets to actually see the kids. We use FaceTime 4 or 5 times a week. Once you get older and have kids, your parents don't wanna talk to you...just the kids. LOL

9:39 am - "Clean your rooms!!!" I'm yelling this to the boys. It's too early to be yelling...

9:46 am - Skyler's hair is done...from the previous day. But I see some hair sticking up. I think I can fix it. But she won't let me touch her hair. I don't know how to do hair. Maybe she knows that. She won't let me try to fix it

10:15 am - The doorbell rings. I wasn't expecting anybody. I look out the window and it's the Jehovah Witness crew. Damn!

10:17 am - I give out the instructions to clean up. We've got to sweep and vacuum the floors. I don't mind these chores

10:25 am - While the boys are doing that, I start to wash clothes. I hate washing and folding clothes

11:11 am - Brandon and Skyler are playing football in the living room. I'm amazed at how rough she is. I guess it's like that when you're the only girl.

11:45 am - Incoming phone call. It's my boy Melvin (aka Melly Mel). He's one of my boys that I played football with at South Carolina State University. We talk once every two weeks. The last time we spoke, I told him that I was eating and I'd call him back. So, when I answer the phone...he says "Hey bruh...you still eating?" LOL. That's how we are. We're always clowning. He is one of my favorite teammates.

12:15 pm - Skyler has to eat lunch then take a nap. Unlike most kids, she doesn't make a fuss when it's nap time.

12:35 pm - The boys all eat pizza for lunch. I skip lunch. Not sure why but I wasn't hungry

12:40 pm - Deion and Kameron make an attempt to explain to me who the Migos are. No thanks...I'll pass

1:22 pm - They go outside to toss the football around in the back yard. I watch from the deck. It's good watching them play together. Sometimes...like most brothers...they are teasing each other.

1:47 pm - I find a game on tv. I check in and browse twitter and Facebook

1:52 pm - The twitter timeline is buzzing about something crazy on tv. I pass on tweeting about it. Most of the time, I tweet my thoughts and stay in my mentions. It's more enjoyable that way. Facebook is hit or miss. Some days it's good. Other days...you question who these "friends" are.

2:12 pm - I forgot about the clothes that were in the dryer

2:15 pm - Incoming phone call. It's the homie, JFresh. 

2:45 pm - I'm hungry but I'm totally confused about what I want to eat. I hate when that happens

3:22 pm - Reading tweets about the pending divorce for Mariah Carey & Nick Cannon. Somebody said they couldn't figure out their favorite song by Mariah. For me...that's easy. We Belong Together. That's my joint!

3:35 pm - Skyler is up from her nap. She runs downstairs and asks for some cookies. I shouldn't give them to her...but I do. 

3:37 pm - Clothes still not folded. I forgot about them

3:52 pm - The boys head to the back yard to play football.

4:01 pm - An episode of The Chappelle Show is on tv. It's the Rick James episode. My favorite episode of Chapelle Show. Hands down. I always watch it and laugh as if I've never seen it. RIP  Rick James

4:45 pm - For some strange reason, my eyelids are getting heavy. Not sure why...

5:45 pm - That was a great nap. The boys are back in the house and are playing video games. Skyler is watching Dora the Explorer.

6:15 pm - Deion challenges me to play against him in a game of John Madden football. This is a trap. He's been playing and has gotten better. As for me, I'm a Madden champion. I was a monster in college. But I hardly play now. Playing Madden is like riding a bike...once you learn...you never forget. So...against my better judgement...I settle in on the couch to play him.

7:00 pm - I win by a field goal 24-21. The kid is good. Not better than me but good enough to beat me. Rule #7979 as a parent...never let your kids beat you in ANYTHING. Once they can beat you, stop playing! LOL

7:15 pm - I'm not cooking so I ask the kids where they want to eat and they yell McDonalds. I don't want no stinkin McDonald's so I convince them to pick somewhere else. We decide to grab some Chinese food and bring it home.

8:25 pm - Bath then bed for Skyler.

8:57 pm - While the boys are watching tv, I sit down the computer with the hopes of writing something for the blog. I write when I feel I have something to say. If I don't have anything to say, I don't write. You can't force creativity. I have plans to write a poem about a woman who fell in love with the perfect guy.

9:02 pm - My 3rd grade teacher always told me that the first two lines of any story are the most important. That's always stuck with me.

9:07 pm - 1st two lines are done

9:10 pm - The boys are in the living room arguing about what to watch on tv. I walk in the room...grab the remote...and turn the tv off. Nothing to argue about now

9:15 pm - Group messages from the fellas. The conversation comes up about _____ who went to high school with us. I'm laughing so hard. Tears

9:54 pm - Another win for the Atlanta Hawks. We're looking good

10:02 pm - Wait...let me fold up these clothes

10:33 pm - I tell the boys to jump in the shower then go to bed. Gotta get up early for church tomorrow. 9:30 am

10:36 pm - Skyler's hair is fine. I won't have to do it for church tomorrow. This is good because I can't do hair. I never learned. At some point...I will. Right now, she won't even let me TOUCH her hair. If I ask her if I can do her hair, she'll say no.

10:50 pm - I sit back down at the computer. All I have is 2 sentences. Damn!

11:05 pm - dozing off at the computer

11:10 pm - gotta shower and hit the sack. Tomorrow is a new day. Another day to be better

See...told you my life is boring.

Haaa

2 comments:

The F_Uitlist said...

Haha. We live similar lives and ain't a damn thing boring about it.

12kyle said...

@ The F_Uitlist

LOL!!! You are correct!!!