Saturday, December 13, 2014

laces


*repost from Jan 2010*

Sports can teach you life's lessons

I learned that early and I'm still learning it.

I remember my high school football coach, Virgil Wells, telling me...


"Son, your job is to catch the ball. You have the ability. When the ball is the air, you treat it like it's yours. You focus on it. No distractions! You don't wait for the ball to come to you. You go and get it! Your focus on the ball should be such that you see the laces on the ball the moment that it's in the air."

Coach Wells' words have always stuck with me.

When I was younger, I used to wonder if he was talking about football or life's opportunities?

Now that I've gotten older, I realized that he was talking about both. Opportunity is just like that ball. Focus.

Unfortunately, Coach Wells passed away while I was in college at South Carolina State University. I regret that I never got a chance to tell him thank you for those words. Even though Coach Wells is no longer here, I'm glad that he told me.

And I'm glad that I listened. Thanks Coach

No comments: