Tuesday, July 30, 2013

weather or not...



I was standing outside one day last week and a feeling came across me.

I hadn't had this feeling in awhile. 

I felt a chill.

Literally. 

To say the weather that we've experienced in Atlanta has been weird is an understatement. A huge understatement. Much like the rest of the south, Atlanta is known for its brutally hot summers. Hot-lanta is what they call it. 

I don't know what has happened to the weather here. Through the entire month of June, we only saw TWO days where the temperatures exceeded 90 degrees. That was weird. June is almost always hot. But July is even hotter. Not this year. We will finish the month of July having only ONE day exceed 90 degrees. That is crazy! We're talking about a place where 100 degree days are as synonymous with summer as mosquitoes and lemonade

So what happened? I'm not sure. I've always been a fan of meteorology and I've studied weather patterns. But this summer has me befuddled. Just a week and a half ago, there were cities like New York and Chicago that battled an extreme heat wave...we had spring-like 80 degree days in Atlanta. It was strange to see cities like Minneapolis and Boston with daily temperatures.


As the calendar turns to August, what should we expect here in the A? A few 70 degree days? I doubt it. I know this much...if you have a summer like this...the winter won't be pretty

4 comments:

Tee Reese said...

I concur.. haven't had the extreme heat of yester'years but since I'm working out at the airport on the ramp... I'd gladly accept enduring the humidity minus the 90s and the several 100 degrees days we've experienced in Raleigh-wood, NC. Don't want to know what it'll be like working out on the ramp at RDU with day after day of high 90s with feels like temps of 100 plus.

Babsinblogland said...

I remarked today how it felt like fall outside. I LOVE fall weather, but I hope we aren't paying for this in January.

Queen of My Castle said...

Same here in Houston. Our summers are usually scorchers, but this summer has been rather temperate. I can dig it, but it is weird.

LadyLee said...

I just need this rain to STOP. Geez.