Monday, July 8, 2013

football is back



And so it begins..

Today at 6:30 pm EST...we're back at it!

We officially start our football season! I'm looking forward to it. I'll be back on the sidelines coaching my son, Kameron. This year we'll be playing in the 10 and under division.

Last year, we finished with 9 wins and 2 losses. We made it to the championship game only to lose to a team that we had beaten earlier in the season. I look forward to the challenges that come with coaching. I'll be the first to admit that I wasn't interested in coaching when I first started. I was a player. I put everything into playing every game like it was my last. I had a passion for the game. My first love.

How do you coach someone to do THAT?

You can't. You accept the kids for who they are. While it has been a pleasure coaching Kameron...and now watching his younger brother, Brandon (he plays for the 6 and under team)...I know that no kid can be the player that you were. You can only hope that they develop skills and a love for the game. The rest will take care of itself.

As a team we have some unfinished business to take care of. It hurt to get to the championship game and lose. The tough thing about sports is that you can't just pick up where the previous season ended. It doesn't work that way. The hard work, blood, sweat, and tears start all over again.

So how do you bounce back and get back to the championship game and win it all??

Check back with me in November and I'll tell you how we did it!

No comments: