Sunday, October 11, 2015

gays in church





It's rare for me to go downtown on Saturdays. There is always so much happening out in the 'burbs where I live during the fall that I don't get downtown as much as I used to. When I do, I enjoy downtown Atlanta because I think it's beautiful. I've been living here since ' 97 so this is my home. I love my city.

Yesterday, I had a chance to get downtown to run some errands. As I was sliding down Peachtree Street, I came to a red light. To my left, I noticed the North Avenue Presbyterian Church. I've seen the church thousands of times. You can't miss it because it sits on the corner and is 2 blocks down from the famous, Fox Theater.

What caught my eye wasn't the church...it was the rainbow flags draped on the outside of the church. The sign in front of the church said "
WELCOME GAY PRIDE WEEKEND. WORSHIP WITH US"

I thought Gay Pride Weekend was Labor Day weekend...as it is every year. But someone later told me that the Labor Day weekend was
BLACK Gay Pride Weekend. I didn't know there was a separate one...but I digress.

Nonetheless, when I saw the flags...I paused for a second. Then I said..."Interesting" out loud to myself while sitting alone in the car. I found it interesting because when you mention the word gay in church...people have a HUGE problem with it. Some "sanctified church folks" will tell you that the LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender) community has no business in the church because of their "sinful actions".

Welp. Aren't we all sinners? I thought the church was a place where you could "come as you are because all of God's kids are welcome." Maybe it's just me. If they aren't welcomed in church...where are they welcomed???

People have strong opinions about this. Who am I to tell you if they are right or wrong?

I find it all interesting. And it's definitely something to talk about...

No comments: