Wednesday, December 14, 2016

graduation day...20 Years Later





20 years ago today...I did it. December 14, 1996

I accomplished one of the biggest goals that I've ever had.

I graduated from college.

I totally enjoyed every minute that I spent at South Carolina State University. I went there as a young boy and left as a man. When I graduated from high school, I really didn't appreciate it because it was just a stepping stone in my eyes. But this was different. This was where I wanted to be.

As a football player, I spent many hours in Oliver C Dawson Stadium. But there were none more important than the 3 hours of our commencement ceremony. I was happy to have my family, friends, and crew there to see me graduate. Many of them watched me play on Saturdays in that stadium. But the cheers that I got when I crossed the stage were the most important cheers that I'd ever receive.

I remember it like it was yesterday. It was in the low 50s so I tried to stay warm during the ceremony. Ken Chenault, the first African American CEO of American Express, spoke at the ceremony. I don't remember much of what he said but I do remember one thing.

He said...


"Never be too busy blazing your trail to stop and look back at where you have come from."

Those words never left me.

I'm thankful for the 5 1/2 years at South Carolina State (the business department was no joke...lol), the good and the bad experiences...they were life lessons. I'm thankful for the people who were in my life before I got to college and those who came into my life during college. The experiences helped me into the man that I am today. Those people helped me become the man that I am today. There's no way that I would be where I am in life without them. Many of you who will read this...are very responsible for this. The growth and maturity that I gained while at SC State was immeasurable. I took so much from the university. There's no amount of money that I can give back to repay the school for what it did for me and the lessons that I learned while being there. I am a loyal son of Her. A member of the Centennial Class (1996).

Bulldog for life.

I bleed GARNET & BLUE.

2 comments:

Tee Reese said...

"Never be too busy blazing your trail to stop and look back at where you have come from." those words... definitely leave a footprint as you trace those back to when and where it all begin.

Nice!

12kyle said...

Thanks Tee! I appreciate it!